About Little Dreamers
Little Dreamers is working towards an equal world for Young Carers, delivering programs aiming to improve quality of life. With an estimated 1 in 10 children in Australia giving up their childhood to provide unpaid care to a family member, Little Dreamers delivers empowering and proactive support programs to reduce the risk factors that they face and increase their life opportunities.
All Little Dreamers programs have been developed by Young Carers, for Young Carers targeting each of the five main risk factors that these young people face – social isolation, poor mental health, unemployment, financial and educational disadvantage. Running for nearly 12 years, Little Dreamers supports thousands of Young Carers each year through direct support programs including Dream Experiences; holiday programs; mentoring and tutoring; in-school education and training; The Dreamers Hub; in-person peer support; and the Big Dreamers Personal Development Program.
Within the wider community we also focus on advocacy for policy change, for more support and recognition for Young Carers whilst also raising awareness of the prevalence of Young Carers and how the community, the education system, friends and family can rally around for increased support.
Are you passionate about creating positive social change?
Are you dedicated to improving the lives of young people and supporting them to achieve their goals and quality of life?
This is your opportunity to build a career connecting with Young Carers and delivering programs that help improve their quality of life. We’re searching for genuine and motivated Program Facilitators to join our team!
If you’re committed to supporting Young Carers, increasing community awareness and have experience in public speaking and/or facilitation, then you’ll fit right in with us.
With rapid growth, Little Dreamers is looking to expand our Dream Team of facilitators to deliver Little Dreamers’ programs. You would play a central role in facilitating three programs in your local area.
- The Young Carer Project: A teacher and Young Carer-led approach to engineer a kind, safe and supportive school environment where Young Carers can thrive.
- The In-Person Peer Support Program (in-person or online): An eight-week program that involves weekly one-hour structured group support sessions.
- School Holiday Program: A day of fun activities in the local community, that provides respite.
Little Dreamers will provide induction and training to our new Facilitators prior to commencing the facilitation role.
People with diverse experiences are highly encouraged to apply. This includes but is not limited to, people with lived experience in caring roles, First Nations, people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTIQA+ community.
About Our Programs
As facilitator for The Young Carer Project, you will find yourself delivering workshops for schools around Brisbane, both working directly with students and teachers as face-to-face leaders of the program. You will co-lead programs, delivering interactive workshops and group discussions for students and teachers.
As a Facilitator for our In-Person Peer Support Groups, you will lead the facilitation of peer support groups. You will be supported by a Little Dreamers co-facilitator who will operate under your direction. In accordance with structured session plans, you will create a safe and inclusive environment that encourages Young Carer participation and interaction. We expect to deliver the Peer Support program online in the short-term due to COVID-19. Online groups will be facilitated using web-conferencing software Zoom and Online groups may have between 4 – 8 participants, whilst in-person sessions may have between 8 – 15 participants.
As a Facilitator for our School Holiday Program, you will lead the facilitation of a day of fun activities for Young Carers in the local community, that provides respite and connection for our carers. You will be supported by co-facilitators, and volunteers. In accordance with structured plans and processes, you will create a safe and inclusive environment that encourages Young Carer participation and interaction.
You may be required to work-from-home at times and to have personal technology such as a mobile phone and computer (with internet access) to support program implementation.
Ideally, facilitators would have a Driver’s License and vehicle to be able to transport themselves to In Person Peer Support session (once these return to in-person programs), School Holiday Programs, and Young Carer Project locations.
Community Engagement and Facilitation of Programs:
- Deliver structured In-Person and Online Peer Support groups for Young Carers
- Run day long School Holiday Programs for Young Carers during school holiday periods
- Facilitate Young Carer Project workshops for school staff (such as teachers and well-being counsellors), and school students
- Provide instructions and guidance to co-facilitators and volunteer facilitators
- Support Young Carer family awareness on available and up and coming programs
- Engage Young Carers in programs through encouraging, positive interaction and continuous improvement of program implementation
- Create an environment where Young Carers feel safe, comfortable to share, and reflect on their experiences
- Encourage and support Young Carers to seek other supports where appropriate
- Attend community and network meetings as required to promote programs, Little Dreamers, and raise Young Carer awareness
- Support the planning and improvement of programs in collaboration with Program Coordinators, Family Support Workers, State Manager, and other staff
- Engage positively with key external and internal stakeholders
- Responsible for the storage and transportation of session resources and materials for all programs, including set-up and pack-down of venues in line with session plans, and complying with all venue requirements and COVID-19 Safe practices
- Online groups: establish a private, quiet, and remote environment to facilitate groups virtually
- Support School Holiday Program implementation processes and procedures to ensure a safe, positive, fun and interactive experience for Young Carers
- Advise Little Dreamers if there are any materials running low for program delivery and arrange with your Program Coordinator for these to be replaced
- Coordinate with program participants and check-in regarding their attendance
- Complete group attendance checklists at the completion of each session and submit to Program Coordinator
- Distribute and collect group participant surveys to assist with regular reviews of programs
- Complete facilitator surveys and reporting as required
- Support the management of Program database, including assisting with data collection tasks as requested and the updating of Young Carer information
- Complete any additional administrative tasks associated with facilitating each program
- Provide support and guidance to volunteers
- Attend regular supervision with State Manager as required
Promotion and Engagement:
- Establish and maintain regular contact with Young Carer families and the local community to promote and engage participation in programs as well as to increase support networks around Young Carers
- Maintain confidentiality, privacy and professional standards in all interactions with internal and external stakeholders
Key Selection Criteria
The person suited to this role must have:
Skills and abilities:
- Effective communication in delivering programs in specific regional and community settings
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive and optimistic outlook, sharing any relevant lived experience where appropriate to develop trust and rapport
- Ability to articulate and share strategies for self-care, safety and wellbeing
- High levels of awareness and empathy, allowing for effective work with groups of vulnerable young people
- Reliable and organised
- Goal focused with a keen desire to improve the quality of life for Young Carers
We’ll be stoked if you also have experience in:
- Public speaking and/or facilitation of workshops for young people
- Personal insight into the impact of stigma and the subsequent effect this has for individuals, families and the broader community
- Understanding of how the unique capacities of a peer educator contributes to the objectives of the In-Person Peer Support Program
- An understanding of the Carer and Young Carer space
- Understanding of the community sector
- Humble, hungry and kind
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers
- Energetic, positive and proactive attitude
- Action-oriented and driven to achieve results
- Innovative, creative and act with initiative and flair
- Flexible and highly responsive
- Dependability and accountability
A national police check and valid Blue Card is required for this position.
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to lots of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Please note that multiple positions are available. Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject header Facilitator and include the following:
- CV with two referees (or available upon request)
- Cover letter
- A short 60 second – 2-minute video sharing with us who you are and what you would bring to this role (filmed on your phone or computer is fine). Applications will only be considered if they include all required components.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com. Shortlisted applicants will then be contacted for an interview. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will be notified by email.
This is a casual position. This position is classified as a Social and Community Services employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 (MA000100).
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Blue Card and Police Check.