Family Support Lead
About Little Dreamers
Little Dreamers is working to improve the quality of life for Young Carers across the country. A Young Carer is someone under the age of 25 that is in a family affected by disability, illness, mental health or addiction.
Our vision? To ensure that every single Young Carer around the world is supported by someone or something by 2030.
We are Australia’s leading Young Carer organisation, supporting young people between 4 – 25 years across six support programs. Over the past 11 years, Little Dreamers has become a game changing force in the Young Carer space, developing internationally recognised best practice programs, advocating for legislation change and changing the lives of thousands of Young Carers around Australia.
Whatever the support service, a common thread runs through everything we do – that young people should have access to the childhood that everyone deserves. Every Little Dreamers program works towards supporting Young Carers outside of their caring role, ensuring that these young people have the same access to opportunities that their non-caring peers have.
With rapid growth, Little Dreamers is looking to expand our Dream Team and for our newest addition we are specifically looking for a Family Support Lead who will both own their own caseload of families and support our existing Family Support Workers across Australia with more complex cases.
In this role, you will provide ongoing support to Young Carers and their families, demonstrating competence in delivering high quality social work intervention using evidence-based practice. While this position is located in Victoria, you will also be an important source of support and guidance for Family Support Workers in New South Wales and Queensland. Your role will also include supporting Young Carers to engage in Little Dreamers programs and providing input into the development, and implementation of Little Dreamers’ programs.
This role requires an understanding of best practice in regards to child safety, a process-driven approach to service delivery and experience working with both young people and their families.
Family Support management
- Ensure prompt intake of new referrals for Victoria and support Family Support Workers in NSW and QLD with any comprehensive referrals and requests
- Manage a caseload of Young Carers in Victoria, adopting a person-centered approach to case management
- Support families facing child protection, family violence, bereavement and other psychosocial issues
- Manage the client database, including note taking and updating family information for your cases
- Facilitate engagement of Young Carers across Little Dreamers programs and events, and manage referrals out to relevant programs and organisations
- Build relationships with relevant external programs and organisations to refer Young Carers to where appropriate
Foster staff development
- Provide guidance and supervision to the Little Dreamers Family Support Workers across the States with family matters and communications with Young Carers and their families
- Be willing to share knowledge of your experience working with complex situations
- Identify and implement areas for improvement within the Family Support team
- Provide feedback and training recommendations to Family Support Workers to improve their development
Key Selection Criteria
Skills and abilities
- An excellent understanding of theory, legislation and process around family violence and child protection
- A commitment to upholding best practice in terms of child safety
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills to enable engagement with families
- Capacity to respond to families facing comprehensive issues including mental health, substance use, disengagement
- Expert knowledge of issues impacting young people and practical strategies to support these
- Demonstrated experience in the support of staff including supervising, mentoring and providing feedback to improve their development and caseload experience
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately in crisis situations
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to a deadline
- Completed a degree in Social Work or related degree
- Demonstrated experience working in the social work field, ideally with young people and their families
- Humble, hungry and kind
- Leadership skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships of trust with Young Carers, their families and other stakeholders
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers
- Warm and friendly disposition with the ability to effectively convey empathy, understanding and care
- Passionate, positive and proactive attitude
- Ability to be tactful in engaging in mentoring of other staff members
- Strong sense of initiative with eagerness to take on new challenges
- Reliable and accountable
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are currently a small team that is growing rapidly with access to development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Little Dreamers also offers salary packaging, competitive remuneration and flexible working opportunities.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following:
- CV with cover letter
- Two referees
- A short 60 second – 2-minute video sharing with us who you are and what you would bring to this role (filmed on your phone or computer is fine)
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com.
Applications will only be considered if they include all required components.
Shortlisted applicants will then be contacted for an interview. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will be notified by email.
This is a full-time position classified as a Social and Community Services employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 (MA000100). We require a 12-month commitment to the role however we hope that you will stay beyond this timeframe and continue to grow with Little Dreamers.
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Working with Children Check and Police Check.