Family Support Worker (Geelong)
We’re Little Dreamers, Australia’s leading non-profit organisation working with Young Carers around the country.
Young Carers are people aged 25 and under who provide or intend to provide unpaid care and support to someone with a disability, physical or mental illness, a substance dependency or who is aged.
Founded in 2009 by a Young Carer, we love building and delivering high quality programs that create deep and meaningful impact in the lives of young people providing care in their families. To date, we have supported over 5,000 Young Carers, we deliver eight core programs alongside ad hoc supports, advocacy and community awareness campaigns. We have strong corporate partnership and funding relationships and have raised over $5 million to improve the quality of life for Young Carers around Australia. We have even received recognition from Queen Elizabeth II and have been named as an internationally best practice organisation for Young Carer support.
Our team is made up of 50 incredible humans working across VIC, NSW and QLD. We are humble, hungry and kind and work hard to reach our goals. We believe in a world where every single Young Carer is supported by someone or something by 2030. Sounds fun right?!
By joining the Dream Team, you will play an integral part in supporting young people who often miss out on having a childhood.
With continued growth, Little Dreamers is looking for an amazing Family Support Worker to join our enthusiastic team in Victoria. This Family Support Worker role will provide focused in-person support to Young Carers and families with complex needs within the Geelong region.
Working closely with Young Carers and their families as well as developing community referral partnerships and collaboration opportunities, our Family Support Worker will be responsible for adopting a person-centred approach to case-management; including developing individualised support plans and maintaining regular communication with Young Carers and their families.
Internally, you will manage your client database including note taking and updating family information as well as facilitate referrals into Little Dreamers programs and externally by making referrals to Carer Gateway (as required).
You will also assist in the development, coordination and delivery of allocated Young Carer programs in the Geelong region. This could include School Holiday Programs or mentoring relationships (just to name a few!).
Externally, you will join forces with other relevant organisations to ensure that there is a comprehensive network of ongoing support for Young Carers. You will also assist with referrals for your Young Carers to other organisations where appropriate.
Reporting to the State Manager (VIC), this role requires creativity, initiative and an ‘out-of-the-box’ attitude to solving complex problems. This role requires excellent communication and relationship building skills, as well as high levels of organisation. You will play an instrumental role in establishing Little Dreamers as a leading, high-quality service provider in the VIC Youth Sector.
The role will be based in Geelong. Personal technology such as laptop and mobile phone is required for this role, however, a business phone number will be provided. Ideally, our Family Support Worker will have a valid Driver’s License and access to a vehicle to be able to transport themselves to meetings and in-person programs. Additionally, travel is required to the Little Dreamers HQ in South Melbourne at least once a month for collaboration and immersion with the wider Victorian Little Dreamers team culture and activities.
Young Carer Support Management
- Manage a caseload of Young Carers and their families with complex needs, providing tailored, in-person case management;
- Undertake assessments to support the development of individualised support plans for Young Carers;
- Manage the client database, including note taking and updating of family information;
- Adapting processes and systems alongside State Manager, Program Manager, Family Support Workers, Program Coordinators, Community Engagement Coordinators and other staff to support high risk families as needed;
- Build community connections and resources for referrals and referral partnerships;
- Disseminating useful information and resources to families.
Carer Gateway Services
- Assist families in the referral and registration process to the Carer Gateway services;
- Work with families to assess needs and coordinate enrolment into Carer Gateway programs;
- Liaise with relevant Carer Gateway Support Workers to ensure highest level of service delivery; and
- Support team members to understand Carer Gateway referral and registration processes and to assist in maintaining accurate information in Young Carer databases.
- Assist with planning, coordination and delivery of allocated programs, including travel to in-person programs in regional VIC;
- Maintain effective relationships with program participants and stakeholders (Young Carers, family members, referrers and funding agencies etc ) to engage & recruit Young Carers into various Little Dreamers programs;
- Assist the Program Coordinator/s with the delivery of other Programs across VIC, such as School Holiday program and Big Dreamers workshops and retreats.
Community Outreach & Engagement
- Working with State Manager and other relevant LD team members to conduct outreach to schools, local councils, hospitals, organisations and community groups to identify and engage Young Carers in services & programs as required;
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and partnerships;
- Represent Little Dreamers in the community;
- Support parents and educators to understand Young Carers including who they are, how to identify a Young Carer and what to do next.
Other duties as required by the State Manager (VIC).
Key Selection Criteria
The person suited to this role must have:
Experience, skills and abilities
- Minimum 2 years experience working with young people, delivering programs and providing case management;
- A degree in Social Work, Youth Work or equivalent;
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills to enable engagement with CALD families and communities;
- Capacity to respond and resolve complex issues and problems quickly and with limited resources;
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail;
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to a deadline;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team;
- Outstanding relationship-building skills, with the ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders and bring others on board with the Little Dreamers vision.
We’ll be stoked if you also have this experience or knowledge:
- Experience working with families facing child protection, family violence, bereavement and other psychosocial challenges;
- Experience delivering engaging and interactive workshops for young people;
- Deep understanding of the carer and Young Carer space;
- Understanding of the community sector.
- Humble, hungry and kind;
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers;
- Warm and friendly disposition with the ability to effectively convey empathy, understanding and care;
- Energetic, positive and proactive attitude;
- Action-oriented and driven to achieve results;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships of trust with Young Carers, their families and other stakeholders;
- Flexible and highly responsive;
- Reliable and accountable.
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to a lot of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Each day that you come to work you are changing a life. The more that Little Dreamers grows, the more impact we have and you’re a key part of that. We think that’s a pretty top perk, but we don’t stop there…
You also get access to salary packaging, internal EAP program, up to 10 days of paid carers leave, and generous parental leave packages.
Finally, we care as much about you as we do about our Young Carers. The Little Dreamers team is a family and we offer flexible working and regular team bonding events.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, using the subject line: Family Support Worker VIC Geelong application. Please include the following:
- CV with cover letter including your responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
- Two referees.
If you have any questions about the role or require any assistance during the application process, please email Erin King email@example.com. Applications will only be considered if they include all required components.
Please note shortlisted candidates will be contacted before the closing date. We encourage applications as early as possible to be considered for the position.
This is a part time position (19 hours). This position is classified as a Level 3 employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Industry Award 2010 (MA000100).
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Working with Children Check and Police Check.
Little Dreamers is proud to be building our communities across Australia. We are an equal opportunity employer and promote a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace. We highly encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. This includes but is not limited to, people with lived experience in caring roles, First Nations, people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQIA+ community.