Family Support Worker (QLD)
About Little Dreamers
Little Dreamers is working towards an equal world for Young Carers, delivering programs aiming to improve quality of life. With an estimated 1 in 10 children in Australia giving up their childhood to provide unpaid care to a family member, Little Dreamers delivers empowering and proactive support programs to reduce the risk factors that they face and increase their life opportunities.
All Little Dreamers programs have been developed by Young Carers, for Young Carers targeting each of the five main risk factors that these young people face – social isolation, poor mental health, unemployment, financial and educational disadvantage. Running for nearly 12 years, Little Dreamers supports thousands of Young Carers each year through direct support programs including Dream Experiences; holiday programs; mentoring and tutoring; in-school education and training; The Dreamers Hub; in-person peer support; and the Big Dreamers Personal Development Program.
Within the wider community we also focus on advocacy for policy change, for more support and recognition for Young Carers whilst also raising awareness of the prevalence of Young Carers and how the community, the education system, friends and family can rally around for increased support.
Little Dreamers has recently expanded its operations to QLD, and we are looking for an amazing Family Support Worker to join our enthusiastic team. The Family Support Worker role will provide focused support to families with complex needs. Working with families, partner organisations and the community, the Family Support Worker will be responsible for triaging support for families and Young Carers, conducting outreach to community organisations and assisting in the coordination and delivery of 1-2 Young Carer programs.
Reporting to the State Manager (QLD), this role requires high levels of organisation, initiative and the ability to problem solve, as well as excellent communication and relationship building skills. You will play an instrumental role in establishing Little Dreamers as a leading, high quality service provider in the QLD Youth Sector.
The role will be based in our Brisbane office, with a workstation setup however personal technology such as a mobile phone and laptop is required for this role, however, a business phone number will be provided.
Ideally, the Family Support Worker would have a Driver’s License and vehicle to be able to transport themselves to in-person programs.
Family Support Management:
- Lead the intake of new families, manage a caseload of Young Carers and maintain regular communication with Little Dreamers’ families
- Manage the client database, including note taking and updating of family information
- Plan support for families across all Little Dreamers programs and manage referrals out to relevant programs and organisations
- Adapting processes and systems alongside Program Coordinators, Community Engagement Coordinators, and State Manager to support high risk families as needed
- Build community connections, resources for referrals and referral partnerships
- Administration and support for the State Manager as required
- Disseminating useful information and resources to families
- Working closely with the Program Coordinator to provide coordination and delivery of quarterly school Holiday Programs across QLD
- Development of relationships with Holiday Program attendees to engage Young Carers in other Little Dreamers programs
- Coordinate Dream Experiences when required
- Work with the Marketing & Events team to promote school Holiday Programs to meet participation and engagement targets
- Supporting Community Engagement Coordinators, Program Facilitators, and Family Support Workers in the delivery of new and existing program initiatives as required
- Development of relationships with program participants to engage Young Carers in Little Dreamers programs
- Working with the National Marketing & Events Manager to promote programs
- Working with State Manager and People & Culture Manager to assist in the coordination of program staff and volunteers as required
Carer Gateway Services:
- Assist families in the referral and registration process to the Carer Gateway services
- Work with families to assess needs and coordinate enrolment into Carer Gateway programs
- Liaise with relevant Carer Gateway Support Workers to ensure highest level of service delivery
- Assist in the coordination of casual program staff and volunteers as required, including placement students
- Support QLD Team members to understand Carer Gateway referral and registration processes to ensure efficient and effective registration of Young Carers into programs and relevant Young Carer database information registered
Community Outreach & Engagement:
- Working with State Manager to conduct outreach to schools, local councils, hospitals, organisations and community groups to identify and engage Young Carers in services and programs
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and partnerships
- Represent Little Dreamers in the community
- Supporting parents and educators to understand Young Carers including who they are, how to identify a Young Carer and what to do next
- As required supporting facilitation of Young Carer Project workshops and sessions
Measurement of impact across all programs:
- Collate program data and produce reports with Impact & Measurement Team
- Work closely with State Manager to update and follow through on impact measurements
Planning and reporting:
- Managing budget and expenditure for programs
- Analyse and report to State Manager on the effectiveness of programs and partnerships to inform decision making and allocation of resources
- Contribute to the preparation of program reports to the Board
Key Selection Criteria
The person suited to this role must have:
Skills and abilities:
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills to enable engagement with CALD families and communities
- Capacity to respond and resolve complex issues and problems quickly and with limited resources
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to a deadline
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to coordinate administration, logistics and other projects in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding relationship-building skills, with the ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders and bring others on board with the Little Dreamers vision
- Ability to read and understand financial information and adhere to a budget
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working with young people, delivering programs and providing case management
- Experience delivery engaging and interactive workshops for young people
- Must have a detailed understanding of the carer and Young Carer space
- Understanding of the community sector and the nuances of working in non-profit
- Humble, hungry and kind
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers
- Warm and friendly disposition with the ability to effectively convey empathy, understanding and care
- Energetic, positive and proactive attitude
- Action-oriented and driven to achieve results
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships of trust with Young Carers, their families and other stakeholders
- Flexible and highly responsive
- Reliable and accountable
Education and training:
- Qualification in any of the following is highly regarded: social work, welfare, community development, youth work or related field. Lived Young Carer experience is also highly valued.
A national police check and valid Blue Card is required for this position.
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to lots of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject header Family Support Worker and include the following:
- CV with two referees (or available upon request)
- Cover letter
- A short 60 second – 2-minute video sharing with us who you are and what you would bring to this role (filmed on your phone or computer is fine). Applications will only be considered if they include all required components.
If you have any questions about the role, please email email@example.com. Shortlisted applicants will then be contacted for an interview. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will be notified by email.
This position is classified as a Social and Community Services employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 (MA000100).
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Blue Card and Police Check.