ABOUT LITTLE DREAMERS
Little Dreamers is working towards an equal world for Young Carers, delivering programs aiming to improve quality of life. With an estimated 1 in 10 children in Australia giving up their childhood to provide unpaid care to a family member, Little Dreamers delivers empowering and proactive support programs to reduce the risk factors that they face and increase their life opportunities.
All Little Dreamers programs have been developed by Young Carers, for Young Carers, targeting each of the five main risk factors that these young people face – social isolation, poor mental health, unemployment, financial and educational disadvantage. Running for 12 years, Little Dreamers supports thousands of Young Carers each year through direct support programs including Dream Experiences; holiday programs; mentoring and tutoring; in-school education and training; The Dreamers Hub; in-person peer support; and the Big Dreamers Personal Development Program.
Within the wider community, we also focus on advocacy for policy change, for more support and recognition for Young Carers whilst also raising awareness of the prevalence of Young Carers and how the community, the education system, friends, and family can rally around for increased support.
With rapid growth, Little Dreamers is looking to expand our Dream Team and for our newest addition we are specifically looking for a Finance Manager to work in our Melbourne HQ office.
This role focusses on ensuring Little Dreamers’ financial functions and reporting is timely and transparent and best managed to optimise our impact.
Reporting through to the CEO, this role requires attention to detail, an ‘out-of-the-box’ attitude and a detailed understanding of managing organisations with tied & untied grant income, government funding, event & donation fundraising income and trading revenue, running multiple programs.
Managing the Little Dreamers financial function end to end, the Finance Manager will be responsible for ensuring accurate and timely Financial Reporting to all stakeholders, including the Board, Finance & Risk Sub-Committee and external Funders.
This is a new internal role as we have been using an external contractor as we grow and are now at a size to take on someone permanently as part of our in-house team. The external contractor will be supporting us ongoing so will be available for a detailed handover and ongoing support.
Financial Overview and Reporting:
- Attendance and Presentation at Quarterly Board Meeting, and Finance and Risk Sub-Committee Meeting;
- Preparation of Quarterly Finance Report for Board Meeting and Finance Update for Finance and Risk Sub-Committee meeting;
- Account Preparation – monthly Management Account reconciliation and preparation, monthly wage and tracking category allocation and review, annual financial accounts ready for audit; and
- Grant management, tracking and allocation to areas and locations.
Budgeting and Costing:
- Manage client cashflow position, runway and make timely recommendations;
- Prepare, roll-forward and maintain operating budgets and forecasts – including Annual Budgeting process with leaders;
- Ongoing Financial Coaching with leadership team;
- Monthly Reporting to budget and insightful analysis based on location/program; and
- Program and state-based pricing, costing, and budgeting support.
Compliance and Support:
- Meeting Audit & Compliance requirements including:
- BAS/IAS/FBT (FBT and income tax exemption in place)
- Super/payroll/Workcover and applicable Awards
- End of period and end of year specific requirements – e.g., Annual STP
- Continuously improve and communicate finance function processes and procedures;
- Team Support – responding to ad hoc queries & information requests;
- Completion of Financial Section of Grant Acquittals as required; and
- Stay across compliance requirements and opportunities as they arise and are relevant to Little Dreamers.
Payroll & Bookkeeping:
- Payroll Management & fortnightly processing – including onboarding, offboarding and employee special circumstance (e.g., mat leave, salary sacrifice and variations) from a payroll (not HR) perspective;
- Allocation/Reconciliation and Receipt Management;
- Payroll and Award compliance; and
- Invoicing and Remittance – as required.
Key Selection Criteria
- 5+ years’ experience working as an accountant – this would ideally suit someone with experience as an autonomous Finance Manager or with a blend of experience in Professional services & Financial Accounting.
- End of month reconciliation, and experience managing external auditors and tax accountants experience is essential.
- Xero experience is essential
- Experience working with NFPs required
- You are a process driven person, excited about automation and leveraging tech to streamline and improve processes for the Little Dreamers team
- Strong written communication skills
- Demonstrate passion for environmental and/or social causes important to you – Young Carers a bonus!
- We welcome and strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds
- Experience in working in a team in a fast-changing environment
- Ability to be flexible and prioritise multiple competing tasks on a daily basis
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are currently a small team that is growing rapidly access to development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Working with Children Check and Police Check.
Get your Resume and Cover Letter ready and show us how your skills and experiences make you the perfect person to fill this position. None of this “To whom it may concern” stuff, show us what you’ve got! We would also love a short 2-minute video introducing yourself and giving us a bit of an insight into who you are and why you’re perfect for this role.
Email your application (resume, cover letter, and video) to email@example.com with the subject line: Finance Manager.
Shortlisted applicants will be notified and we’ll begin the interview process which may consist of a phone chat and then probably some more traditional interviews (they’ll be fun, don’t you worry).
Thanks for your interest in working with us. We can’t wait to meet you.