Intake and Support Coordinator
ABOUT LITTLE DREAMERS
We’re Little Dreamers, Australia’s leading non-profit organisation working with Young Carers around the country.
A Young Carer is anyone under the age of 25 who currently provides, or intends to provide, care in their family for a parent or sibling who has a chronic illness, mental illness, disability or addiction.
Founded in 2009 by a Young Carer, we love building and delivering high quality programs that create deep and meaningful impact in the lives of young people providing care in their families. And we’re pretty good at it too. To date, we have supported over 5,000 Young Carers, we deliver eight core programs alongside ad hoc supports, advocacy and community awareness campaigns. We have strong corporate partnership and funding relationships and have raised over $5 million to improve the quality of life for Young Carers around Australia. We have even received recognition from Queen Elizabeth II and have been named as an internationally best practice organisation for Young Carer support.
Our team is made up of 50 incredible humans working across VIC, NSW, QLD and SA. We are humble, hungry and kind and work hard to reach our goals. We believe in a world where every single Young Carer is supported by someone or something by 2030. Sounds fun right?!
By joining the Dream Team, you will play an integral part in supporting young people who often miss out on having a childhood.
Our Intake and Support Coordinators are responsible for providing a single point of entry for information, assessment and referral to Little Dreamers programs and external services.
As the first point of contact, our Intake and Support Coordinators will build a positive rapport with a wide range of Young Carers and their families in order to offer an effective and supportive service.
Intake and assessments will be goal focussed, and include the development of support plans, reassessments and regular contact to ensure the Young Carer is engaging in relevant supports and working towards the goals that you set together.
Intake and Support Coordination:
- Ensure prompt intake of new referrals in Brisbane following a goal based intake and assessment approach;
- Manage all allocated Young Carers, communicating with them regularly and ensuring the are working towards the designed support plan;
- Manage your client database, including note taking and updating family information for your Young Carers;
- Facilitate engagement of Young Carers across Little Dreamers programs and events, and managing referrals out to external programs and organisations; and
- Build relationships with external programs and organisations to refer Young Carers where appropriate.
Carer Gateway Services:
- Assist families in the referral and registration process to the Carer Gateway services;
- Work with families to assess needs and coordinate enrolment into Carer Gateway programs;
- Liaise with relevant Carer Gateway Support Workers to ensure highest level of service delivery; and
- Support Team members to understand Carer Gateway referral and registration processes and to assist in maintaining accurate information in Young Carer databases.
- Planning, coordination and delivery of the national Hour of Power program.
- Maintain effective relationships with program participants and stakeholders (Young Carers, family members, referrers and funding agencies etc ) to engage and recruit Young Carers into the various Little Dreamers programs
- Provide accurate reporting on program activity for allocated programs to meet internal and external requirements
- Regular attendance, engagement and assistance with various programs and events, both ran internally by Little Dreamers and with external organisations and providers.
Other tasks as required by the State Manager (QLD).
Our programs are held off-site, in various locations around Queensland, meeting the needs where our Young Carers are located. In order to perform the full extent of this role, you must be able and willing to regularly travel around Brisbane and Queensland. All Little Dreamers staff delivering face-to-face programs are required to be up to date with their COVID-19 vaccinations.
Key Selection Criteria
The person suited to this role must have:
Experience, skills and abilities:
- Minimum 2 years experience working with young people, providing case management;
- A passion for making a difference in the lives of Young Carers
- Demonstrated experience in a similar position, conducting intake and assessment for young people and providing support
- An excellent understanding of theory, legislation and processes around family violence and child protection
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills to enable engagement with families
- Capacity to respond to families facing comprehensive issues including mental health, substance use, disengagement
- Expert knowledge of issues impacting young people and practical strategies to support these
- Demonstrated ability to respond appropriately in crisis situations
- Ability to manage competing priorities and work to a deadline
We’ll be stoked if you also have this experience or knowledge:
- A degree in Social Work, Youth Work or equivalent;
- Experience working with families facing child protection, family violence, bereavement and other psychosocial challenges; and
- Experience delivering engaging and interactive workshops for young people
- Deep understanding of the carer and Young Carer space
- Understanding of the community sector
- Lived experience as a carer or Young Carer
- Nationally Accredited First Aid Certificate
- Full drivers license and access to a car
- Humble, hungry and kind;
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers;
- Warm and friendly disposition with the ability to effectively convey empathy, understanding and care;
- Energetic, positive and proactive attitude;
- Action-oriented and driven to achieve results;
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships of trust with Young Carers, their families and other stakeholders;
- Flexible and highly responsive; and
- Reliable and accountable.
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to a lot of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Each day that you come to work you are changing a life. The more that Little Dreamers grows, the more impact we have and you’re a key part of that. We think that’s a pretty top perk, but we don’t stop there…
You also get access to salary packaging, internal EAP program, up to 10 days of paid carers leave, and generous parental leave packages.
Finally, we care as much about you as we do about our Young Carers. The Little Dreamers team is a family and we offer flexible working and regular team bonding events.
Little Dreamers is proud to be building our communities across Australia. We are an equal opportunity employer and promote a diverse, equal, and inclusive workplace. We highly encourage applicants from a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. This includes but is not limited to, people with lived experience in caring roles, First Nations, people from a culturally and linguistically diverse background, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQIA+ community.
Please email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org,using the subject line: QLD Intake & Support Coordinator application. Please include the following:
- CV with cover letter including your responses to the Key Selection Criteria.
- Two referees.
If you have any questions about the role or require any assistance during the application process, please email email@example.com.
Applications will only be considered if they include all required components.
Please note shortlisted candidates will be contacted before the closing date. We encourage applications as early as possible to be considered for the position.
This full-time position is classified as a Level 3.1 employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Industry Award 2010 (MA000100).
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Working with Children Check and Police Check.