Peer Support Facilitator (Toowoomba)
ABOUT LITTLE DREAMERS
Little Dreamers is working to improve the quality of life for Young Carers and Special Siblings across the country. Our vision? To ensure that every single Young Carer around the world is supported by someone or something by 2030.
We are Australia’s leading Young Carer organisation, supporting young people between 4 – 25 years across six support programs. Over the past 10 years, Little Dreamers has become a game changing force in the Young Carer space, developing internationally recognised best practice programs, advocating for legislation change and changing the lives of thousands of Young Carers around Australia. Whatever the support service, a common thread runs through everything we do – that young people should have access to the childhood that everyone deserves. Every Little Dreamers program works towards supporting Young Carers outside of their caring role, ensuring that these young people, have the same access to opportunities that their non-caring peers have.
With rapid growth, Little Dreamers is looking to expand our Dream Team. We are now specifically looking for a casual facilitator for a new Peer Support Program to work in Toowoomba. This is your opportunity to build a career connecting with Young Carers and supporting them to improve their health and wellbeing. If you’re committed to supporting Young Carers, increasing community awareness and have experience in public speaking and/or facilitation, then this is the job for you.
Little Dreamers will be delivering In-Person Peer Support Groups for Young Carers in targeted areas across NSW and QLD as part of the wider Carer Gateway program. As a Peer Support Program Facilitator, you will find yourself delivering workshops to Young Carers around your local community. You will co-lead programs, delivering interactive workshops and group discussions with Young Carers, creating a safe and inclusive environment. Training will be provided for all Facilitators prior to commencing the role. Each Peer Support Group will have up to 15 Young Carers and will run for eight weeks at a time. Casual Facilitators will be allocated to at least one Peer Support Group at a time to deliver workshops and support.
Facilitation of programs:
- Deliver structured In-Person Peer Support workshops for Young Carers
- Co-facilitate all programs with a volunteer facilitator
- Create an environment where Young Carers feel comfortable to share and reflect on their experiences
- Encourage and support Young Carers to seek other supports where appropriate
- Engage positively with key external and internal stakeholders
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the In-Person Peer Support sessions through the use of participant surveys for facilitators and participants
- Complete an attendance checklist on the Little Dreamers CRM, Salesforce, at the completion of each session
- Advise Little Dreamers if there are any materials running low for program delivery and coordinate with State Manager for these to be replaced
- Complete any additional administrative tasks associated with facilitating the In-Person Peer Support Program
- Assist with data collection tasks where appropriate
Promotion and Engagement:
- Promote the In-Person Peer Support Program in your local area as per discussions with State Manager
Key Selection Criteria
The person suited to this role must have:
Skills and abilities:
- Effective communication in delivering programs in specific regional and community settings
- Ability to foster and maintain a positive and optimistic outlook, sharing any relevant lived experience where appropriate to develop trust and rapport
- Ability to articulate and share strategies for self-care, safety and wellbeing
- High levels of awareness and empathy, allowing for effective work with groups of vulnerable young people
- Reliable and organised
- Goal focused with a keen desire to improve the quality of life for Young Carers
- Public speaking and/or facilitation of workshops for young people
- Personal insight into the impact of stigma and the subsequent effect this has for individuals, families and the broader community
- An understanding of the carer and Young Carer space
- Understanding of the community sector and the nuances of working in non-profit
- Understanding of how the unique capacities of a peer educator contributes to the objectives of the In-Person Peer Support Program
- Humble, hungry and kind
- A strong commitment and enthusiasm towards the purpose and mission of Little Dreamers
- Energetic, positive and proactive attitude
- Action-oriented and driven to achieve results
- Innovative, creative and act with initiative and flair
- Flexible and highly responsive
- Dependability and accountability
A national police check and a Working with Children Check is required for this position.
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to lots of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
Please email your application to Stephanie at careers@littledreamersonline.
- CV with cover letter including your responses to the Person Specification
- Two referees
- A short 60 second – 2-minute video sharing with us who you are and what you would bring to this role (filmed on your phone or computer is fine)
If you have any questions about the role please email careers@littledreamersonline.
Applications will be assessed as they are submitted, with starting date ASAP. Shortlisted applicants will then be contacted for an interview. Applicants who are not selected for interview will be notified by email.
This is a casual position classified as a Social and Community Services employee under the Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010 (MA000100). We require a 12-month commitment to the role however as this is an incredible opportunity we hope that you will stay beyond this timeframe and continue to grow with Little Dreamers.
Please note: It is an offence under the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 2005 for a person convicted of a serious sex offence to apply for this position. Any offer of employment at Little Dreamers is subject to a Working with Children Check and Police Check.