Young Carer Support Coordinator – Coaching
We’re Little Dreamers, Australia’s leading non-profit organisation working with Young Carers around the country. A Young Carer is anyone under the age of 25 who currently provides, or intends to provide, care in their family for a parent or sibling who has a chronic illness, mental illness, disability or addiction.
Founded in 2009 by a Young Carer, we love building and delivering high quality programs that create deep and meaningful impact in the lives of young people providing care in their families. And we’re pretty good at it too.
To date, we have supported over 5,000 Young Carers, we deliver eight core programs alongside ad hoc supports, advocacy and community awareness campaigns. We have strong corporate partnership and funding relationships and have raised over $5 million to improve the quality of life for Young Carers around Australia.
We have even received recognition from Queen Elizabeth II and have been named as an internationally best practice organisation for Young Carer support.
Our team is made up of incredible humans working across VIC, NSW, QLD. We are humble, hungry, kind and work hard to reach our goals. We believe in a world where every single Young Carer is supported by someone or something by 2030. Sounds fun right?!
By joining the Dream Team, you will play an integral part in supporting young people who often miss out on having a childhood.
About the Role
As a Young Carer Support Coordinator you are the key support person for Young Carers participating in Coaching in key locations across our delivery area (NSW2). Each day will include completing intakes and Carer Stars with Young Carers and delivering Coaching sessions, both individual and group, in-person with Young Carers within your catchment area.
With a split of intake and registration, administration and delivery, you are always close to the impact of coaching, ensuring that the programs can be delivered in innovative ways to meet the needs of the Young Carers you are responsible for.
Intake and Registration (40%)
- Ensure Young Carers meet the eligibility requirements for accessing services and supports;
- Registration of Young Carers into Carelink;
- Utilise the Carer Support Framework and Carer Star to complete intake, assessment and planning;
- Conduct Risk assessments, including assessment of suicide risk and violence risk, develop action and safety plans to mitigate any risks, providing follow up support if required, and communicating all risk with the Coaching Practice Lead; and
- Provide Young Carers and their family with information on internal and external programs/services ensuring referral pathways for Young Carers as required.
Coaching Delivery (40%)
- Lead facilitation of Coaching (individual and group) within your targeted area including setting up and packing down venues, and complying with all venue requirements as required;
- Adapt structured session plans to meet the needs of each Young Carers, creating a safe and inclusive support environment for participants;
- Create a space where Young Carers feel comfortable to share and reflect on their experiences;
- Work within the Carer Gateway Coaching Framework to deliver impactful Coaching Sessions; and
- Utilise your own lived experience (where applicable) to explore topics related to Young Carers and their caring roles.
Session Management and Administration (15%)
- Following a deep understanding of the Young Carers in your catchment area, develop Coaching Groups of similar size, with Young Carers with commonalities including attending the same school, or caring for the same type of person;
- Communicate all session allocation information to Young Carers and their families as required;
- Regularly communicate with Young Carers participating in Coaching regarding engagement and attendance; and
- Input all necessary information into Carelink.
Data Analysis, Reporting and Community Engagement (5%)
- Collect and report on data related to Coaching delivery, outcomes and program effectiveness; and
- Prepare regular reports for internal stakeholders, highlighting key achievements and areas for improvement.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community organisations, support groups, and stakeholders to enhance the reach and impact of Coaching services;
- Collaborate with our Carer Gateway consortia partners (as required) to identify opportunities for collaboration and resource-sharing.
Key Selection Criteria
- Experience as a coach or case worker is highly regarded
- Experience working in community services, allied health, or carer/family peer positions
- Thorough understanding of the caring role, and evidence based, best-practice carer supports that enable carers to sustain their caring role, and enhance their own wellbeing and identity
- Experience in coordinating responsive individualised supports to Young Carers
- Experience delivering engaging and interactive coaching programs to young people
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of carer programs and supports, as well as considerable knowledge of youth support programs
- Organisational and interpersonal skills, e.g. negotiation, problem solving capacity, communication and organisational and planning skills
Desirable skills and qualities:
- Lived experience of being a Young Carer
- Understanding of and commitment to Young Carer issues and needs
- Understanding of the not-for-profit sector
- Knowledge of the Carer Gateway Coaching service design and guidelines
- Knowledge of and experience using the Carer Star
When you join the Little Dreamers Team, you join a community of people committed to making a difference. We come together with shared values, passion and a collaborative culture. We are a rapidly growing organisation with access to a lot of development opportunities. We operate within a leadership structure that accepts and embraces everyone’s ideas and hard work to create the world that we want to see for Young Carers.
You also get access to salary sacrifice packaging, internal EAP program, up to 10 days of paid carers leave, and generous parental leave packages.
Finally, we care as much about you as we do about our Young Carers. The Little Dreamers team is a family and we offer flexible working and regular team bonding events.
Little Dreamers takes great pride in cultivating an environment that is nurturing, inclusive, and respectful. We wholeheartedly welcome applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders, individuals from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, individuals who are neurodiverse or living with disabilities, and individuals across the gender and sexuality spectrum. We actively support flexible working arrangements and are committed to making necessary adjustments to accommodate individual needs.
Please email your application to email@example.com, using the subject line: Young Carer Support Coordinator – Coaching.
Please include the following:
- Responses to demonstrate your experience with each of the Key Selection Criteria
- A 60 second video* (filmed on your phone/laptop is perfect) sharing who you are, and why you’d be great for the role. This video will need to be shared as a link – so please upload it to a video sharing service (e.g. a private video on Youtube)
- Your CV including two referees
* We include this because it creates an opportunity for those who are more comfortable with communicating verbally. If you’re not comfortable submitting a video, please let us know and we’ll make a note of this.
Applications close on Friday 15th December 2023. Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed before the closing date or during the following week. Applicants who are not selected for an interview will be notified by email. Have questions? We prefer enquiries via email to firstname.lastname@example.org due to the volume of calls we receive from applicants.
This position is part time (30.4 hours) and classified as a contracted part time employee (through to June 2026) under the Social Community Home Care and Disability Industry Award 2010 (MA000100).
The wage is a SCHADS Award Level 4.1.