Online Tutor: Volunteer
Volunteer Position Description
Location: VIC and select NSW regions (volunteers can come from anywhere in Australia)
Commitment: At least one school term (ongoing commitment will be reviewed at the beginning of each school term)
Volunteers must be over the age of 18.
ABOUT LITTLE DREAMERS
Hello! We’re Little Dreamers, Australia’s leading non-profit organisation working with Young Carers around the country.
A Young Carer is anyone under the age of 25 who currently provides, or intends to provide, care in their family for a parent or sibling who has a chronic illness, mental illness, disability or addiction.
Founded in 2009 by a Young Carer, we love building and delivering high-quality programs that create deep and meaningful impact in the lives of young people providing care in their families. And we’re pretty good at it too.
To date, we have supported over 5,000 Young Carers, we deliver eight core programs alongside ad hoc supports, advocacy and community awareness campaigns. We have strong corporate partnership and funding relationships and have raised over $5 million to improve the quality of life for Young Carers around Australia.
We have even received recognition from Queen Elizabeth II and have been named as an internationally best practice organisation for Young Carer support.
Our team is made up of 50 incredible humans working across VIC, NSW, QLD, and over 350 volunteers from around the country. We are humble, hungry, kind and work hard to reach our goals. We believe in a world where every single Young Carer is supported by someone or something by 2030. Sounds fun right?!
By joining the Dream Team, you will play an integral part in supporting young people who often miss out on having a childhood.
Little Dreamers is delivering an Online Tutoring program for Young Carers. The program aims to provide extra education support for Young Carers to keep them engaged in their schoolwork and provide relief to parents. On Zoom, tutors will help guide students with their homework and school-related tasks, providing an extra helping hand and supporting them in their learning.
This program allows you to act as a positive role model by guiding Young Carers through their education and giving them the space to develop within their studies.
This role will see you matched with one of our Young Carers who are looking for extra help in their schooling. We will pair you based on subject choices and time availability. Tutoring sessions will be conducted via Zoom, weekly.
During a session, 1:1 tutoring will happen in break-out rooms, with 1 roaming facilitator checking in and providing additional support. These sessions are run 3 times a day, Monday to Thursday.
- Weekly commitment of one hour (between the hours of 4pm – 7pm, Monday – Thursday)
- One school term – this program runs in conjunction with the Victorian school term dates. Tutoring positions will be reviewed at the end of each term.
You can even tutor multiple Young Carers across several sessions throughout the week!
All Online Tutoring volunteers must:
- Obtain a Working with Children’s Check (Volunteer Checks are free of charge!)
- Complete a National Police Check (Covered by Little Dreamers)
- Be available for a meet-and-greet interview
- Maintain regular contact with Little Dreamers team member
- Complete the feedback form after each session
Key Selection Criteria
We’re looking for fun, energetic and caring individuals, with:
- A desire to make a difference: Volunteers should care about making an impact to the lives of Young Carers.
- Strong commitment: We are looking for reliable and committed volunteers!
- Excellent communication skills: Should be friendly and able to engage with a young person in a non-judgmental and appropriate manner.
- Strong ethics: Volunteers should have an appreciation of ethical issues and can be entrusted to behave appropriately around vulnerable people and seek guidance when unsure.
If you have any questions about this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please complete the form below and we will be in touch with you to discuss your application and the next steps.
This is a volunteer position.