FReeZA Committee Member
Volunteer Position Description
FReeZA Committee Member
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Commitment: 12 month commitment
ABOUT LITTLE DREAMERS
Hello! We’re Little Dreamers, Australia’s leading Young Carer organisation. We support young people aged four to 25 who provide care for a family member with a disability, illness or addiction.
Across a range of direct support programs, both in-person and online, we’re improving the quality of life for Young Carers across five key areas: education, employment, mental and physical health, socialisation, and financial wellbeing.
Our vision is a world in which every Young Carer is supported by someone or something by 2030.
Little Dreamers is excited to commence an event series called Youth Festival in 2022, funded by the Victorian Government FReeZA event grant.
The Youth Festival will consist of three full day events per year over a three year period. Each of the three events will have a different theme and incorporate expert-led workshops and entertainment designed to challenge, educate and inspire young people. Our three themes are:
- Visual arts – workshops will explore different art media, pursuing a career in the arts, art therapy, digital design and more.
- Creative writing and journalism – we will hear from successful journalists and authors, run creative writing workshops, learn about poetry and explore how to forge a career as a writer.
- Theatre and performance – participants will attend workshops around drama, theatre, stand up comedy, dance and improv.
The themes will be repeated each year with different workshops and guest speakers, so that young people can attend each year, meet new people and learn new things.
As a FReeZA committee member, you’ll be involved in the planning and execution of the Youth Festival events, as led by our National Marketing and Events Manager and Marketing team.
The FReeZA committee will be involved at every crucial stage of the event planning process. This includes hands on experience in tasks such as:
- Researching the musical, cultural and recreational interests of young people
- Marketing, promotion and publicising events
- Developing a communications and marketing plan
- Negotiating agreements with other vendors providing services for FReeZA events
- Securing extra sponsorship from the local community where necessary
- Managing the production of events
- Managing or overseeing budgets for each event
- Creating risk management plans
- Participating and facilitating media opportunities
- Assisting with event bump in and bump out
All of our committee members will receive a certificate and letter of reference from Little Dreamers Founder and CEO, Madeleine Buchner, upon completion of their volunteering. They will also receive a commemorative t-shirt with their name and the event branding, as well as being acknowledged at the event.
All FReeZA Committee members and FReeZA workers will have access to training and professional development opportunities through the FReeZA Support Service.
Training for young people participating in the FReeZA program takes place at various times throughout the year. Topics include event management related presentations such as artist booking, marketing and promotion and other specialist areas associated with the music and creative arts industries as requested by FReeZA Committees. The Push will also run a major music industry careers expo scheduled in July each year that is open to young people, FReeZA workers and the general public.
In addition, FReeZA workers will be supported through a series of in-person and online professional development workshops throughout the year. Topics are informed by the network of FReeZA workers and may include presentations on: youth participation, advocacy and inclusion, event management, artist bookings, marketing and promotions and risk management and best practice program delivery models presented by experienced FReeZA workers.
The Office for Youth strongly encourages FReeZA Committee members and workers to attend these training opportunities.
- Commit to 12 months at a time, including 3x full day events
- Monthly committee meetings for event planning (can be in-person or online)
- Ad hoc event based tasks
Who are we looking for?
- Fun, energetic and caring people!
- Young people aged 15-25 (as this is a youth committee!)
- Interest in events and event management
- Desire to make a difference: Volunteers should care about making an impact to the lives of Young Carers.
- Committed: We are looking for reliable and committed volunteers!
- Communication skills: Should be friendly and able to engage with a young person in a non-judgmental and appropriate manner.
- Ethics: Volunteers should have an appreciation of ethical issues and can be entrusted to behave appropriately around vulnerable people and seek guidance when unsure.
To submit your application, please complete the form and attach your CV via the link at the bottom of the page.
If you have any questions about the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This is a volunteer position.